Thursday, August 28, 2008

One Foul Day

I realized that my USB was missing as soon as I got to the office today. Everything was in it: all my teaching plans and handouts, my tax files, and confidential correspondence between the Coordinators. I emptied out my backpack, but it wasn't there. I searched all over the office and every classroom I teach in... nope. I called Bill to look for it at home, but he didn't see it. My last hope was to the teacher who used the classroom my last class was in last night, but I also feared that, if he was the one who found it, he might have read some of the documents that he wasn't, and is never, supposed to read.

Turned out, my USB was not seen or found by anyone in the school. I could feel myself getting increasingly irritated but I had no time to freak out. I had to head to the hospital for the blood test results. Bill met me at the front gate of the hospital at shortly after 4, and we didn't get to see the doctor until 6pm. During those two hours, there was a family of monkeys behind us, and the grandparents repeatedly told the boy that the police was coming to take naughty boys like him away. Scared, the boy whined more. It annoyed the shit out of me.

The three tests for ovarian function looked normal, which indicates that my left ovary is doing fine. Just when the corners of my mouth were rising upward, Dr. Legendary pointed at the number on the top of the result sheet: CA-125= 102.

I felt as if someone had just lifted me up so s/he could slammed me down HARD! I let out a gasp and my stomach immediately knotted up. The last time I saw a CA-125 value that high was in the winter of 2006, before my initial surgery. My heart rate increased and there was a throbbing sensation where my left ovary is. Dr. Legendary advised that I get back to Dr. Liu to have it checked out. His exact words were, "Maybe have an endoscopy surgery to see if cancer returned in your left ovary." I thought I was going to black out, but I remained composed and rational. Staring blankly at Bill, I translated what the doctor said. The throbbing intensified. My mind went blank.

Defeated, I sleepwalked out of Dr. Legendary's office. It cost me NT$377 (CDN$12) just to talk to him today. When we got into the subway station, rage rose inside me, and I felt like punching people out of my way. Everyone looked ugly and they smelt rotten. I actually barked at a few people who were completely oblivion of what was going on around them in a crowded station during rush hours. I told a coupled of airhead chicks to take their time walking at suck slow speed that eventually we might just get to the platform tomorrow morning. I hated myself immediately after those words came out of my mouth, but what difference does it make anyway? Being a good person doesn't make everything in life okay.

To top my one foul day off, the dinner we had was just horrible. My appletini was more apple-y than Martini. The onion rings were greasy, and the chicken satay was the worst we've ever had. In fact, because of the chicken satay, Bill said I should title this posting "One Fowl Day" instead. Gotta love Bill for his amazing ability to stay optimistic and for his quirky sense of humor.

I found my USB though. Somehow I stuffed it inside one of the tiny pockets of my jean jacket.

Back to square one we go. Gotta make an appointment to see Dr. Liu now.

2 comments:

  1. What a day you had!! I know EXACTLY how you felt regarding your rage.

    I too went through many, many (some very painful)tests to become pg. I had almost lost all hope. Folks tried to say helpful things but the more they said the more I knew they were speaking from ignorance. It pissed me off!
    Strangely I was more offended by my friends who did have babies. I guess I thought they would 'get it' but they didn't since most of them were praying to avoid another one.
    I lived in the 'country' and managed to cool off by the time I arrived anywhere. Inevitably the speaker had been a person who got pregnant when there was a pair of pants in the bedroom.
    I found an absolutely wonderful and empathetic doc (who worked at the same hospital!) who did a lot of sleuthing and after prescribing some 'new' meds I became pg. He treated me like an egg throughout. I was watched like I was his only patient. He was an A+ doc. I'll pray that you get one as good.
    So proud of Billy. This is as hard (in a different way naturally) on them, ironically, as it is on the hopeful mother. ab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aunt Bonnie.
    It's not easy, but I'm trying very hard not to let it affect me too much. Life goes on, and a CA-125 at 102 really isn't all that bad (knock on wood).

    ReplyDelete